Retargeting ads. If you are not yet familiar with them by their technical name, chances are, you’ve become acquainted with them while surfing the web.
For example, when you’re doing some online window shopping through Banana Republic’s latest arrivals for Winter, and that sweet jewel-toned cardi (that perfectly matches the pencil skirt you bought a few weeks ago!!) is now popping up in the form of a totally non-creepy (ok, its kinda creepy) web ad on the subsequent web pages you visit.
Is it just me, or does the process remind you at all of that song by The Police, “I’ll be watching you?”
Humor aside, retargeting ads are in a sense designed to do just that…watch and follow you around the web. Is it creepy? Is it stalkerish? Call it what you will…but they’re also a genius method of wooing customers back to your site and (hopefully) make a purchase.
Consider this: 2% of shoppers convert on their first visit to an online store. Retargeting brings the other 98% back.
In a day and age when attention spans are getting shorter and shorter ad shiny object syndrome is a rampant epidemic, retargetering ads serve as a means to refocus the diverted attention of potential customers, the window shoppers, and those who aren’t quiet ready to pull the trigger on a purchase.
How Do Retargeting Ads Work?
In a nutshell, the process of retargeting keeps track of people who visit a site, and then displays retargeting ads to them when they are visiting other websites. In general, there are two types of retargeting ads—
Let It Burn
There is nothing more annoying than a retargeting ad that just won’t quit. It doesn’t take the hint you aren’t taking the bait. Which leads us to what I believe is the most important step to setting up a successful retargeting campaign: Set a frequency cap and burn code!
When you’re setting up a retargeting campaign, always use a frequency cap.
Why? Overexposure. Just because a prospect visits your site a few times doesn’t mean they want to see ads from your brand EVERYWHERE they browse. A frequency cap limits the amount of ads they see, so they aren’t overwhelmed or annoyed by your content.
Also, don’t forget to set a burn code. Why is this key to the process? Just as it is annoying for prospects to be inundated by your ads before they make a purchase, it is equally annoying when they make a purchase and are STILL followed around by your ads.
These new customers can still be part of a retargeting campaign, but don’t ask them to take the same action twice. Take the opportunity to judicially cross-sell, upsell, or offer referral discounts through new ads.
You got the customer (yay!). Do yourself a favor, and keep the around by setting that burn code on that initial ad. You’ll be a better marketer for it!
Lend me your thoughts…
What’s the verdict: Do you think retargeting ads are cool, creepy…or both?